Seven Top Tips For A Successful Web Business
Starting up your own web business can seem daunting if you’ve never done it before. But there are a few simple concepts that will guide you and make sure everything you do contributes to building an effective – and profitable – business!
Here are some of the tips we’ve given in recent Consultation calls…
- Your Goals: Spell out your objectives in starting a web business, as they are what will keep you going through thick and thin… Map out the development of your web business against your goals, so that every element of what you do represents another (identifiable) step towards achieving your goals. Occasionally stop and look back at what you’ve achieved and give yourself a pat on the back, identify what needs adjusting, and learn from your experiences.
- Your Strategy: The beating heart of your web business is your business strategy. This is all about identifying a niche that you can target effectively, monetise and dominate and then working out how to do this most cost-effectively. Where do your prospects ‘hang out’ and how can you reach them? What ‘Irresistible Offer’ will bring them flocking in? Can you use viral products or videos to market your offer? How do you keep your customers coming back for more?
- Your USP: What’s different about you/your offer/ your approach – why should someone follow you or buy your products? You need to have some unique offering or angle that ‘stands out from the crowd’. SOS – the ‘Same Old Stuff’ may bring in the odd customer but we all look for something New, Different or Better all the time, don’t we? Look through your prospects’ eyes.
- Your Funnel: To maximize the benefits from your work, try to identify suitable products that represent steps through your funnel – from freebie to front-end product, mid-price, high-price, etc. You don’t have to have all these in place when starting out, but mapping out how you’re going to lead your prospects through your funnel will help make sure every element of what you do is productive in building your business and everything makes a coherent whole.
- Your offer: See how you can make the offer on your website (your free report) ‘irresistible’ – ie a no-brainer for people to sign up for! Then try to make sure that the expectations of those that sign up for it are exceeded, so that they want more! Again, look through your prospects’ eyes.
- Your Website: You have 6 to 10 seconds to grab your visitors’ attention – and hold it! Your headline should immediately ‘answer’ their problem and there should preferably be a relevant graphic that reinforces this. Your call to action (the ‘Most Wanted Outcome’) should be clear. Think about the changes you could make to increase conversion (reinforce your ‘irresistible offer’) – and keep testing them.
- Monetisation: The whole purpose of your web business is to make profit (by helping others), so try to think of all the opportunities to make a sale – I covered 16 at the Mastermind Workshop but web biz expert Rich Schefren says there are at least 45 different opportunities…!
Sure, it may look complicated but the final ‘bonus’ tip is KISS – Keep It Stupidly Simple! Oh so many businesses have failed because they got too clever or too complicated. Keep it all absolutely as simple as you possibly can – and simple enough that your prospects and customers can clearly see ‘What’s In It For Me’ and why they should do business with you!
Oh – last thing… Nothing will happen without taking Action. Small steps at a time… As the Chinese Philosopher, Lao Tze, said: “The journey of a thousand miles is started with a single step…” So start taking those steps…!
All the best with your web business…
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!